Ok, so I've gotten the episode 4 patch installer to work in wine on my mac. The problem is that after the patch is installed, the game crashes just before the ending cutscene of episode 3 and just after the introductory cutscenes at the beginning of episode 4. I've also gotten some weird graphical glitches in the introductory cutscenes of episode 4, like Rosella being frozen while Shadrack is still animated and Cassima seems to be sitting on the floor while citing her speech instead standing like she's supposed to. The game crashes just after the introductory cutscenes as soon as Graham pulls out the scroll. I'm not sure that there's any point to me posting how to install the episode 4 patch with these crashes happening.(Posted on: November 07, 2011, 09:24:54 PM)
It appears that some people who using windows have had the same problem as I did above:http://www.postudios.com/blog/forum/index.php?topic=11288.0
In any case I've solved all the issues. For anyone who wants to install the episode 4 patch in wine, here's how to do it. First, you need a program called dd to extract the msi file from the patch executable. If you look at my previous posts, I did the same thing to install the episode 3 patch under wine. The procedure is similar. Do the following steps:
1. Create a folder in your home directory and move your episode 4 patch directory into it.
2. Now open a terminal and cd into that newly created directory.
3. Use dd to extract the msi file from TSL-EP4Patch.exe, with the following code (type it exactly as written):
dd if=TSL-EP4Patch.exe of=TSL-EP4Patch.msi bs=16 skip=1275674
4. This creates a file called TSL-EP4Patch.msi, but don't run it yet. First use wine to run the patch executable. When you get the error, just ignore it and let it finish patching your game data. Code:
5. Now run your extracted msi file with msiexec, using the /p option, making sure that it points to the right folder. Code:
msiexec /p TSL-EP3Patch.msi /qb c:\Program Files\Phoenix Online\The Silver Lining
Also, remove the data.tsl file, since you don't need it anymore. Code:
rm ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Phoenix\ Online/The\ Silver\ Lining/game/data.tsl
This worked perfectly well for me with regards to installing the episode 4 patch in wine, on Mac OS X Snow leopard.Note
: If you get freezes and crashes, when starting up the game, like I did, then I should add that what worked for me was to delete the the Phoenix Online folder in your wine directory and then reinstalling everything, installing each patch in successive order. Make sure to move out your save folder before doing this though, so as not to lose your saved games.